Follow the Progress of Flight Design’s Exciting
· 2008 – 2009 - Flight Design management develops the concept of an affordable, modern, high performance, true 4-place aircraft engineered using an evolution of the technology developed by Flight Design with the CT series of aircraft.
· 2010 – Aerodynamic computer modeling indicates the C4 would be capable of impressive performance:
· Airspeed (cruise): 155-160 kts
· Range: 1200+ nautical miles
· Maximum takeoff weight: 1200 kgs (2640 lbs)
· Useful load: 600 kgs (1230 lbs)
· January, 2011 – Flight Design solicits input via an online questionnaire from current owners and the wider aviation community to determine most important features and benefits for the C4. The results indicate importance as:
4. Fuel – high efficiency and multiple fuel types capable
5. Airframe parachute recovery system
· April 12, 2011 – A preview of the new C4 concept is revealed to the worldwide Flight Design dealer network just prior to the public debut
· April 13 – 16, 2011 – The Flight Design C4 is introduced to the global aviation market by unveiling a full scale mock-up of the aircraft at AERO Friedrichshafen, Germany.The response is overwhelmingly positive and enthusiastic. 40 orders for the C4 are immediately placed by eager dealers and customers
· April, 2011 – C4 “Early Bird” order program is introduced, providing a delivery position in the first 100 serial numbers, along with a 7.000€ ($10,000) discount at time of delivery – orders for the C4 continue to mount.
· July, 2011 – C4 makes its U.S. debut with the display of the full-scale mock-up at EAA AirVenture at Oshkosh, WI
· July, 2011 – Matthias Betsch, Flight Design CEO, is shown leading a standing-room-
Announced was the decision to work with Flight Design’s long-term partner BRS to provide the airframe parachute recovery system as standard equipment on the C4. The C4’s BRS system will incorporate the latest advancements in parachute design and engineering such as an electronic activation system replacing the mechanical hardware now being used.
· September, 2011 – Flight Design announces their gasoline engine choice of the Continental IO-360-AF (alternate fuel) engine for the C4 at the AOPA Summit in Hartford, CT, USA, providing C4 customers with a solution to keep flying in the event 100LL avgas is no longer available due to environmental concerns.
· Flight Design’s C4 gathers interest from the worldwide media gaining front page coverage from UK’s LOOP and center coverage in U.S. FLYING
April 18 – 21, 2012 – Mock-up of interior cockpit and cabin shown at AERO Friedrichshafen
C4 full scale mockup on display
A large spacious cabin with soft leather seats on board of C4
Watch C4 video review from AERO 2012
Feb. 26 - Mar. 03, 2013 – The C4 Mock-up was shown on display at the largest aviation event in Australia and the Pacific Rim - Avalon 2013! Read more...
The C4 interior mock up on display at AVALON 2013, Australia
- August 2013 - At AirVenture Oshkosh 2013 Flight Design announces Garmin® avionics suite chosen for C4 Aircraft and new C4 oriented project “Safety Cell” Technology was presented to public.
Technical Director Flight Design Oliver Reinhardt presents occupant-safety crashworthiness initiative "Safety Cell" at AirVenture Oshkosh 2013
The C4 “Safety Cell” concept
The C4 Timline will be updated continuously... Stay tuned!